Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Countdown List

We have been in the US an exceptionally long time. It will be 24 weeks by the time we leave.

I haven't spent a lot of time or effort thinking about our return, until now.

I keep a running list/inventory of things I need, things I have, things I've taken to and from Paris in a little red notebook. This is actually Notebook #2. I've started to review the book and make a list of the things I'll need to buy. The packing of items to be returned comes later.

My sister, Karen, read the list last week and laughed at me because I had written the word, "outfits" on the list of things to be purchased. What's wrong with that? I certainly understand that this means items that are purchased, usually together, that can be thrown on in an instant, without thinking, and I will look "put together". It's easier to buy an "outfit" than to try to figure out an "ensemble" each time I have to go out. An "outfit" can be a suit, a pair of pants and a top, a skirt, blouse, scarf, etc. I prefer to at least know what shoes I will wear with each "outfit" too, since hemming and socks/hose must be available, too.

But, buying an "outfit" isn't that easy. It is often serendipity that plays a role. So, I have to do my homework, ie hit the stores! The pressure is on, because we have a busy month planned. I wish I'd started a bit sooner.

On a good note, I had also written "jeans" on the list. Those are not as hard as "outfits" to find, but finding a nice pair isn't easy or cheap. Karen helped with this item last Friday when I bought a great pair of jeans. One item, checked off The Countdown List. "Outfits" still to be found and purchased and my sister has gone home to Houston, so I have no one to help me find my "outfits".

No comments: