Sunday, January 25, 2009

Seeing Friends and Family

One of the best parts of living between two places is seeing friends and family in each location. There's always a lot to catch up on and it's fun to look forward to a reunion.

I have Paris friends and LA friends, but more and more these friends travel to the other location and we have a new world to explore. I enjoy sharing my life in the "other" location.

Many people ask me what my life is like in the other location, "what do I do" in that other spot. I usually come up with a very boring answer that doesn't describe the situation very well.

I think this is because it's the simple pleasures in each of these locations that make my life rich and interesting. I like driving my blue car. I like walking up rue de Rennes to go to Monoprix. I like taking the #82 bus. I like looking at the ocean.

How do I describe these things to others? Until they experience it, they can't understand. And, if someone is in Paris for 4 days, I seriously doubt that they want to go to Monoprix. Likewise, my blue car isn't at all special, so it's not an "activity" for a visitor.

It's hard to imagine, when you're sitting outside with a friend, drinking tea, that two days before it was -10 C and snowing. But, I guess that's what friends are for, listening to stories from the other place, enjoying the time we spend together.

No comments: