Friday, May 8, 2009

Do I Dare

It's another holiday in May. Armistice Day, I think. It's hard to keep track of all the holidays in May.

We haven't been here in May for a couple of years, so I'd forgotten how the rhythm of daily life is interrupted by holidays.

The working French, of course, take this very seriously. If I were working, I'd grab every holiday and maximize it, too. But, I'm now on the other side of the fence.

Yesterday afternoon, the metro cars were packed with people leaving town. In the paper, it said that the traffic would be at a peak between 4 PM and 9 PM on Thursday and 6 PM and 11 PM on Sunday.

So, the difficult choice this morning involves groceries. We need food for the next few days. Do I dare get my rolling grocery cart and hike it out to a store or wait until tomorrow? Saturday is always the most crowded because Sunday the stores are closed.

The downside is that I fail to get groceries and waste most of an hour. The upside is that I'll have gotten the chore done today and won't have to do it tomorrow.

No comments: