Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Mouse in the Grocery Store

I'm sure that in the US, if someone spotted a mouse running around the aisles, the entire store would be closed by the health department. I'm sure they have their share of rodents, but we never see them.

Yesterday we were in Franprix at lunchtime. A mistake in itself. There were lots of people in line, all with their lunch items. Suddenly there was a commotion. Everyone was assembled in a circle, laughing, pointing, talking.

The object of their interest was a tiny tiny grey mouse who was obviously scared to death by all of us. It was confused, running around, trying to find a place to hide.

The cashier asked me what was all the excitement about, so I told her it was a small mouse.

What would I expect to happen? Of course, I would expect her to pick up her phone, call the manager and fix (ick) the problem. But, she did nothing of the kind. She rolled her eyes a bit, yawned and remarked, "C'est normal".

And, I think she's right. What better place for a mouse to live than the grocery store?

No comments: