Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm Considering Vegetarianism



I love to cook things that "cook themselves". You just put them in the oven with some spices, a little wine, or something easy like that and then take it out and dinner's ready. That's why I like small birds, like cornish hens in the US and quail anywhere I can find it.

Last night's dinner took on a new dimension when I looked closely at the quail I'd bought. Yikes. Their heads are still on! I don't like to look into the eyes of my dinner. This includes fish. I also don't want to see feet, tails, or fur of any kind.



Of course Terry wasn't around to do the "dirty work". So, out came my knife. I tried not to look too closely (even when I took the pictures). I wonder why they left the heads on? No one would want to eat them, I hope! They are tiny.

I felt pretty brave after cutting off their heads. It wasn't very hard, since they're small. But, this doesn't mean I'm considering a job at the butcher shop in my neighborhood. Cutting the heads off almost took the fun away from cooking these lovely little things. But, I managed to cook them and eat one!




Without the heads, of course.

No comments: