Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Knife Man



He's hard to see, I took this picture from the window. But, this is the "knife man".

To me, he represents what I like about being in France, that some things never seem to change.

I can hear him before I see him. He always comes early in the morning. with a very loud bell attached to his cart, he makes his way down the street, ringing about 10 times and then stopping, looking up, to see if anyone needs his services. If no one motions from a window, he picks the string for the bell up again, and gives it a few more rings as he makes his way down the street.

He takes his time, probably most of his customers are elderly and it's hard to get downstairs carrying a bunch of knives to be sharpened.

I could hear him on our block for more than an hour, I'm sure he did well.

No comments: