Saturday, June 23, 2012

Computer Problems, Genius Bar, Here I Come...

I have a computer that is less than one year old.  It started having problems about a month ago.  The fan started running and it started to heat up (a lot).  I realized it was the battery, it's under warranty, I didn't worry about it, I just plugged it in.

Today, I tried to plug something into the USB drive and it was dead, too. I have two and I think I use the same one, probably never tried the second one before today.

I called Apple and spent 50 minutes on the phone with a guy who finally determined that I need to take it to the Apple Store.  I think this could have been determined in about 5 seconds, since it needs a new battery and it's under warranty.  Oh well.  He said that they can't look at the USB port until they fix the battery.

Tomorrow you know where I'll be -- at the Genius Bar.  Ready or not.  Genius Bar is  the (adjective omitted) name for the Apple repair at the Apple Store.  In the past when I've gone to the Apple Store, I've noticed that the employees really think they are geniuses and let you know that you're inferior. I detest this attitude, especially since they are basically working in a store.  But, they hold the power in this situation. I can't get my computer fixed without getting an appointment (they won't see you without an appointment), showing up at the designated time, computer in hand, self-esteem in check.  

I will try to put up with their attitude, but as you can probably tell, I have an attitude, too.  My attitude doesn't respect the Geniuses standing around in the store in their "hip", computer-person looking clothes, glasses and hair styles.  Hopefully they can help because the next step is to mail (yes) the computer to Apple, which could take a long time.

I've had many Macs.  I bought one of the first ones, in 1984.  It was terrific.  Besides an occasional battery problem, I've never had a problem with a computer like this before.  I dropped my previous laptop while going through security at LAX.  After that, the case was bent and it wouldn't close properly but it still works.  It is not modern, but it works.   I don't know if this new one is a lemon or if they aren't making them like they used to.  We'll see.  The Apple rep on the phone tried to sell me a $249 Apple Care extended warranty in case it breaks again.  Hmmm.  That means I'd have to go back to the Genius Bar again. 


1 comment:

Mary said...

Quel coincidence ! I just made an appointment.with a genius at the Louvre Apple.store. The ipad has somehow changed my id, even though Apple has not. Since there's no,genius bar with 300 miles of East Lansing, I guess I'm lucky.
But I'm going to look hard at a Samsung.rtnedigh