Friday, September 21, 2012

The Cloud Ate My Contacts

I still don't know how this happened. 

Yesterday I backed up my iPHONE.  I change the songs, photos and apps quite often.  When I started the sync, a window came up telling me (asking me) if I wanted to download the new software. Yes, why not?

I selected the apps, songs and photos and waited for it all to finish.  Done.  I didn't think about this for another second until this morning.

Part of the good/bad part of having an iPHONE is that you can get your emails anywhere.  So, as I walking down the street, I looked at my emails and found one that disturbed me.  Being impatient by nature, I needed to deal with this immediately.  So, I hit "Contacts" to call the person and settle the issue raised on the email. 

When I got to the contacts, a new screen came up and said to select from a choice of Contacts on the Cloud or Contacts on the Computer.  I selected the Computer.  It was blank.  So, I selected the Cloud, blank.  Back and forth I went until I realized that my Contacts were gone.  All of them! 

Wherever my Contacts went, they weren't in a cloud that I could access. 

A lot of work went into that Contact List.  I meticulously check it, add to it and refine it.  It is an incredibly useful tool.  Note that I'm using the present tense, that's a good sign.

I raced back home and grabbed my computer and the cable.  I plugged the phone in, hit INFO then clicked on everything that said Contacts from Computer and did another SYNC. Voila, the Contacts are back.  I have no idea if someone else's Cloud has my contact list or if my Contact List is going to be updated in the Cloud in the future.  As long as I have my Contact in my phone, where i want them, I'm satisfied.  



No comments: