Monday, November 5, 2012

Les Sangliers (Wild Boar)

For some weird reason, I have fallen in love with this crazy, ugly and aggressive creature.  This is the French sanglier, or wild boar.  Evidently they reproduce like rabbits and their population has exploded throughout France.

Unfortunately, they eat things that they shouldn't; vegetables in the garden, flowers and plants, maybe even small pets.  They run in packs.  When they're all together, maybe 10-20 of them, they're pretty formidable.  Sharp teeth in addition to little tusks.  Short legs that move quickly and can dart in and out easily.  And, a will to survive.

I've heard that they are a tasty game treat.  I can't imagine how much work it would take to get all that prickly fur off and then tenderize the meat, so I'm not in the market to eat them.  I guess the hunters can rationalize killing them -- deplete the overpopulation of sangliers.

Evidently there are even a number of humans that are killed each year in road accidents with sangliers. I guess that's a lose-lose situation.

In any case, I hope these creature survive and flourish, despite their reputation. 

No comments: