Thursday, July 24, 2008

What Californians Are Wearing This Summer



By law, this is what all Californians must wear if they want to talk on the phone and drive at the same time.

I've had one for awhile, but it is not great. I can't hear very well with it. It hurts my ear. I lose it at least once a day. I am not very good at turning it on and off.

The legislation was designed to make driving safer. I agree with this idea. I have had several near-collisions with folks driving with one hand and holding the phone in the other hand.

Opponents to this law say that even though a person isn't holding the phone while talking, they are still not paying attention to the road. You also have to dial the phone occasionally, which requires you to look at the phone, not the road. This isn't outlawed yet, perhaps because it would be hard to enforce.

The weirdest thing about these hands-free devices is that people use the hands-free feature when they're walking around, sitting on a bench, or relaxing on the beach. I can no longer tell with a quick glance if a person is simply having a phone conversation or is in the midst of a psychotic episode.

Unless it is dark, I can't tell the difference until I can hear a few words. If it's dark, I can see the silly blue flashing light on the side of the ear piece.

No comments: