Monday, November 3, 2008

How Many Days Has It Been?

I bet you thought we were still without water. No, we're on to the next crisis.

I hate to whine all the time, but now we've had a holiday on Saturday (Toussaint) followed by Sunday (stores are closed) followed by Monday (many stores are closed and if they're not, they're closed from 12 noon until 2 or 2:30 PM).

Where does this leave me?

Hungry, without clean clothes and without a newspaper. Whine, whine!!!

I don't know how the small stores survive. On Saturday, I didn't take the holiday too seriously, since Saturday is a very big shopping day for people who work. Many, not all stores were closed. Sunday of course, nothing changes, most places are closed except a few small "Alimenation" which charge a fortune. I use them only if I am desperate for an ingredient.

But, Monday, I thought the world would "right' itself and things would be open. Ah ha! The things that are normally closed are closed. The things (like the grocery store, Franprix) that are open, are not well-stocked because they've been closed.

I had to "dig deep" to cook dinner tonight and I am not happy.

Odile says that all of this is historic and hard to change. All I can say is, "where are the French entrepreneurs?" Those people who want to work extra-hard to earn more money? I guess they're at the cemetery visiting their loved ones or at their country house, closing it up for the winter.

No comments: