Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'd Forgotten

We haven't been to the south of France in four years. In that time, I've forgotten all the lovely things that compel us to return. I'd also forgotten all the annoyances that caused us to stay away for four years.

But, all in all, I'm happy to remember and enjoy all the great things about this area.

First, the plants. The lantana, which grows in all colors. The pine trees that line the coast, the smells mingle, creating something magical. The bullfrogs singing their happy songs at dusk (10PM right now). The bees. The olive trees, the bouganvilla, the wild grape vines, the artichoke plants.

Everyone is sunburned and smiling. Speaking different languages. Some loud, some calm and quiet. Everyone is wearing bright colored, wrinkled clothes. Everyone is wearing sandals. No socks are allowed except on the tennis courts.

I'd also forgotten about how hard it is to park the car. The constant road construction, causing delays, forcing you to drive on the wrong side of the road with only a lone guy to direct traffic, with his "after lunch" smile on his face. I"d forgotten that you have to put a coin in the shopping cart to free it from the others. I'd forgotten what it feels like to have about 100 mosquito bites on skin that is also sweaty and a little sunburned.

I'd (almost) forgotten about topless beaches. All women are free on the beach here, it is understood.

But the little snack stand on the beach is gone. It was called "Anna, La Buvette" and they made the best pan bagnat I've ever eaten. There is no trace of this shop, just sand. I guess I can't leave for four years and expect my "spots" to stay the same.

No comments: