Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Squat



Leave home for ten days and squatters will move in. Even though we locked the door, closed the drapes and the windows, it was obvious we were gone.

So when we came home from Cap Ferrat, the plants in my window boxes were a mess. I immediately started watering, pruning and nurturing them back to life. One plant in particular was very odd looking, even dead.

We'd had a long day, and as I was pulling the dead twigs from the planter, it took me awhile to realize that a bird had moved in to my planter box, building a nest.

Now I'm guilty. I pulled it apart before realizing! I quickly put it back together as best I could and unpacked.

About an hour later, perched on the ledge, a large pigeon was looking in at me. We made eye contact and she flew away with a whoosh. But, she was back. In an effort to ease my conscience, I put some offerings out there, crackers and bread. Eventually we went to bed.

In the morning, she was back, having re-made the nest. Sorry, but I have to open the windows, little bird, so if you can co-exist with me, I can enjoy seeing your babies. But it was not to be. When she realized that the apartment was inhabited, she moved on, leaving this nest.

No comments: