Friday, August 28, 2009

The Shooting Star



When you see a shooting star, does something special happen? Or is it just a momentary thrill?

I live in two places that both have a lot of light pollution. Maybe I don’t look up enough. I’ve never seen one before and wouldn’t have known what it was.

Last night I was having dinner outdoors with my sister in La Costa. All of a sudden I looked up and there it was. I remarked immediately to my sister by saying, “maybe it’s fireworks or a star” and she read my mind and told me that I’d just seen a shooting star.

It was quite spectacular. It was low in the sky, just above the tree line in the distance and it was yellow. It was moving away from us and had a beautiful sparkly tail. As fast as I saw it, it was gone.

I’ll remember this moment because I was with my sister, sitting outside on a warm, beautiful California summer evening, talking and sharing a cheese plate and a glass of wine (each).

No comments: