Monday, September 14, 2009

The Ampoule

Every time I return to Paris, I get blisters on my feet.

During the summer in California, I wear either sandals or my tennis shoes (with socks). My feet get used to being free and comfortable, with nothing rubbing on them.

When I return in the fall, I put on shoes immediately. Walking around town in sandals is not smart. First it is dirty and second it seems like I could smash my nearly bare toes on something. But, it's still pretty warm here so I don't need socks. Warm weather and no socks combine for an automatic blister or blisters. I never learn.

This time, I got a big blister on a walk in the Luxembourg Gardens. The blister is small and it's all bandaged up. But, there's still time to get more.

The translation for the word "blister" in french is ampoule. It is a feminine noun. I like this word because it has two definitions in one. It means both blister and light bulb. Makes sense to me. I wish there were more words like this in french.

No comments: