Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dressing in Layers

The weather here is really cold. It's dry, a little bit windy. It snowed on Friday afternoon but it was a wet snow and it didn't stay on the ground.

Like a little kid, I went out and jumped around, then took the long way home from Odile's apartment just so I could enjoy the snow.

To go out in this weather, I need to plan. Layers are required. I forget this every year until the first time I go out and the cold comes right through the cashmere sweater and lined wool coat. Dressing in layers is an art. Trying not to look like a snowman, it's best to have multiple thin but warm layers.

I start with a silk camisole. If it gets much colder, I'll have to switch to a long-sleeved silk undershirt. Then I add a sweater with some kind of high neckline. Then I add a cardigan, buttoned. Next a coat. Right now it's a full-length down coat. On top of this, a cashmere scarf and lined gloves.

All of this doesn't keep me completely warm, it just prevents hypothermia.

I guess if we were going from a heated apartment to a heated car to a heated restaurant, theatre or another apartment this wouldn't be necessary, but last night we walked to and from the metro and a long way to the restaurant.

No comments: