Sunday, September 4, 2011

Robots or Food Processors?

The word for food processor in French is "le robot". It's so easy to remember, as in, "my little robot" that chops up food.

I went on an exhaustive search for a "robot" a few years ago after trying to make a fig sauce (from fresh figs) without one. I had to strain the figs through a collander and it was messy and time-consuming.

I looked on the internet then went to a store and bought one that I thought would be OK. I brought home an enormous box, took out millions of pieces and tried to put it together and test it. One key piece was missing and it wouldn't work, so I had to re-pack it (of course it didn't fit back the way it came) and trudge back to the store with the huge box. I asked for a refund and went to another store, this time, BHV.

The second robot was a success. It is smaller, with less parts. It wasn't expensive, less than Euro 100 and it is a workhorse. It has the capability to shred, slice, chop, grind, puree and make juice.

After searching for a "robot", I realized that they are much less expensive than in the US, a pleasant surprise, since this usually isn't the case.

In the US, I have one of the original Cuisinart food processors. Perhaps it is 25 years old, I have no idea. It has all the features and blades that I need. But, it doesn't work as well as I'd like anymore, food gets stuck between the blade and the bowl. I think it's time for a new one.

This should be easy, right? At least it should be easier and maybe cheaper than in France? I thought so. Off I went to the store. Nothing. There are two choices, very big, very expensive food processors or a new, small version that doesn't do many of the things a real food processor should do. This small version is really a dressed-up blender. All the nice ones are at least $200.

I'm sticking with the old one that makes noise and isn't perfect anymore. At least for now.

No comments: