Monday, June 25, 2012

I'm Glad I Did This In The U.S.

The Apple Store Genius Bar.

I made my appointment, I showed up on time.  The place was teeming.  I knew I had to check in, but where?  I found a guy and asked, he told me to go to the Genius Bar.  I went there, had to wait, a guy told me I had to check in with another guy who was in the center of the store.  I did.  He checked me in. 

There were about 15 people ahead of me.  Isn't that what an appointment is for?  Obviously not in Apple Land.  I waited and waited. People jostled me, there was nowhere to stand.  People kept crowding in at the Genius Bar, hoping they could get helped right away.

After waiting for about 15 minutes I checked back with the original check in guy who told me that I was late for my appointment, I'd have to wait! I wasn't late, even after circling the store to try to find the check in guy.

At the 20 minute mark, I was about to cry in frustration.  Finally my name came up.  The guy was nice, he helped me, he fixed my problem. 

I had considered buying an AppleCare insurance plan but after this, I think I'd rather take my chances.

As I was waiting, I wondered what it would be like to try to do this in France with the language barrier and cultural differences.  Would I have even understood that I got bounced from person to person without getting helped.  Certainly I would be jostled more, French people tend to crowd more.  They also cut in line if they can, but at this store, all the people were trying to cut in. 

It was a gorgeous, sunny afternoon.  Why are all these people in the Apple Store instead of 1. work 2.  the beach.  Even the dentist is better/easier than this. 

No comments: