Thursday, September 13, 2012

Lost Cards


In the last week, I have lost two different cards that are important in my French life.

This morning as I was getting ready to leave, I grabbed my Navigo (transport) card and realized that I had the outside plastic holder but no card inside.  The plastic on the outside was broken and it had slipped out; probably on the 58 bus coming home last night.  After a futile search of my purse, I realized that a detour was in order this morning. I had to go to the Gare Montparnasse and get my card replaced.  I know the drill for this because I washed my card a few years ago.  It has a chip in it and after washing, it didn't work.

To Montparnasse I went.  Wearing tennis clothes, no makeup and feeling a little bit rushed and unhappy, I arrived quickly at the caisse/kiosk. But the woman at the desk was a trainee and couldn't make me a new card. I had to wait for the permanent woman to return from her break. The clock was ticking on my tennis court time, but I couldn't get there without the Navigo unless I wanted to buy tickets and do this job later.

The woman arrived, processed my card, commenting (I didn't need this) on how much younger I looked in the photo that they had.

The other card had a different fate but the outcome was basically the same.  While doing a big clean out, I accidentally shredded my current Musee d'Orsay Carte Blanche.  Of course,  all the previous years' cards were saved from my manic shredding session.

An email to the M d'O got a quick reply.  They can't replace the card, they can only send me an "Attestation" that I have to present with a photo ID.  I guess this is the best they can do.  It's my fault that I shredded on card and lost the other one.


No comments: