Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Plastic Bags

The city of Manhattan Beach outlawed plastic bags last year.  I think this is a great move.  We are all lazy and want new, disposable bags every time we shop.  Now, I have my stash of reusable bags in the trunk of my car.  Most of these bags are from France.  The French bags are bigger and more heavy duty.  I have one bag that has little holders in the side.  These are for wine bottles, of course.  I guess they could also be used for things like juice or olive oil.  They are very handy.

I even carry around a nylon bag in my purse. It folds and I can fit it into any purse.  I carry it with me all the time. 

I could mention the environment here, but the act of not using plastic bags needs to be extended to all things plastic including water bottles, food packaging and everything else.  I think that the plastic bag ban is a bandaid at best.  

I had no idea that plastic bags aren't given out freely in Paris.  Normally I bring my cart and use it to transport food from the grocery store.  I haven't used a plastic bag in a long time. 

I had a few spare moments yesterday, I dashed into the Monoprix at La Motte Piquet-Grenelle.  It is huge.  I needed a lot of things but I'd never been in the store before so I walked around, aimlessly looking at things for awhile.  They already have huge chocolate displays for Christmas. 

I had an appointment after this trip so I couldn't buy anything perishable, but I found some things in the housewares area that are unique, so I put them in my cart.  As I checked out, the checker said, "C'est fragile..." which is understood in any language, I was buying glass.  I agreed with her, not realizing that she wasn't going to do anything to help me wrap the fragile items up.  Finally she asked me if I wanted a plastic bag, I said yes.  She replied that they cost 3 centimes each and I would need a lot of them. 

So, I refused the bags.  I paid.  All the glassware was at the end of the runner and another woman/customer was shoving me toward the front door of the store.  I used to panic in these situations but I've learned to push back. I took my time and thought.  My solution was across the street -- the metro!  I put all the glassware carefully in my bag and entered the metro.  Inside, they have stands with free newspapers -- so I grabbed about 5 "A Nous Paris" and about 10 "Direct Matin" and threw those in the bag too.  I walked to the seats to wait for the train.  The sign said 7 minutes, plenty of time. 

Like an experienced bag-lady, I took the newspapers and carefully wrapped each item in the free papers, placed them in the bag and had time to spare.  Everything made it home without incident.

I guess I don't need plastic bags after all.  But my recycling is full of throw away newspapers this morning.

No comments: