Thursday, November 14, 2013

Affordable Care Act -- Not For Me It's Not (affordable)

I just heard from our insurance agent that we have to change the renewal date on our health insurance plans from August to December.  This will give us a pause, a breather, before the policy price is increased by 30-50%.  The kicker is that immediately we have to pay about $100 more, but in the long run, this will save a bit of money.

It just postpones the inevitable 30-50% increase that will now come in December, 2014 vs. August, 2014. 

Certainly it's great that the 40 million uninsured Americans will now be able to be insured.  Many of them will be subsidized by the government if they fall below a certain income level.  But, with an increase of 30-50% I think that I will be subsidizing the rest.

I'm OK with paying taxes and I'm OK with the taxes paying for healthcare for the elderly, the disabled, the poor.  But, I'm not OK with also paying a for-profit company more than my fair share.  They will be making up for the price of the low-end policy that is subsidized by OBAMACARE by increasing my payment. 

This isn't good for anyone.  I object to this and I am stuck because I need health insurance.  This is really a poor solution. 

No comments: