Sunday, April 20, 2014

It's Goat Season?





At the poultry counter today at our local outdoor market, I spotted a new choice for Easter dinner.  Goat. 

There with the turkey, chicken, quail and guinea hen were several half goats;  ribs and legs.  The meat was light and slightly pink.  The bones were thin and looked a bit flexible.  Probably a young goat. 

I was intrigued by this but I couldn't justify buying it because we already had our Easter dinner planned and organized.  But, I asked the butcher if he'd have the lamb next Sunday.  He replied that he didn't know.  It's goat season around Easter but he didn't know how long it would last.  I'd never thought of a season for meat.  Vegetables and fruit, certainly.  I do know that goats have a season for producing milk.  It is now "goat season" for goat milk and goat cheese.  Goat cheese is a favorite in my household along with goat yogurt. 

I realized that turkey is seasonal in France. It is in the market around Christmas and New Year's.  Not in November.  No pilgrims on the Champs Elysee. 

When I got home, I looked up recipes for goat in my American cookbooks.  The butcher told me that it should be cooked like a rabbit, not roasted.  But, my cookbooks say I can buy a boneless leg and stuff it with herbs, tie it and roast it or I can broil the ribs. 

Let's hope that goat season isn't over until I can get back to the market next Sunday and get it. 

No comments: