Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Studying French in California

If I don't maintain my French language skills consistently, I forget it all.  Quickly.  

Reading, writing, speaking and listening in French, it's so easy in France.  I'm surrounded.  I have to understand, and be able to communicate on a minute-by-minute basis.  The phone rings, the doorbell buzzes, the internet breaks down.  There's no hiding. 

The long, warm California days lull me into inaction, inactivity.  Everyone speaks English.  I can drive my car and understand the road signs.  If the internet breaks, I can call and speak to someone in English even if they're in India.  

I'll be back in France soon, needing French.  I've been studying French this Summer in school.  The class is very comfortable, all Anglophones trying to improve their vocabulary, comprehension skills, their accents.  We're in the same boat. We all make the same mistakes.   It's been a great experience. 

In English we say, I am X years old.  In French, I have X years.  You just have to memorize it I guess.  Hopefully theses Summer sessions will pay off.  

I try to switch languages mid-flight as a symbolic gesture.  On the flight to France, I order my first glass of champagne in English.  The meal comes quickly, English.  When the flight is almost over and they turn on the lights to wake us up, I'm in France.  I order my breakfast in French, say "au revoir" as I deplane. 

What else can I do?  I try to read Le Figaro on the internet.  I watch french TV.  It all counts as studying. 


1 comment:

Agnes Barroy said...

Hi there, something else you can do is listening to the radio: you'll get better results than watching TV, in my opinion (it worked for me anyway when I was an au pair in Ireland... years and years ago ;o))
Agnes B.