Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The USDA

To take an American dog to France, you have to have your dog examined by a USDA accredited vet and then take the (extensive) paperwork to the USDA for approval.  You have to do this not more than 10 days before your arrival in France.  So, if you weren't already busy enough, this adds some excitement to the trip preparation activity.

The vet went smoothly.  They have a "concierge" who is knowledgeable about the paperwork and completed it (for a $$$ price) for me.  I had to be aware of what Emma needed to have done in advance but it wasn't too difficult.  I got the paperwork yesterday but we didn't finish our appointment until after noon and the USDA is only open from 7:30 to 11 AM.  So, I got up earlier than usual in order to get to the USDA when it opened. 

When I arrived, they had a "take a number" machine.  Having been in France for a long time and also being a Cost Co member, I am familiar with these machines.  I got #23 and it was 7:31 AM so I guess everyone has the same idea about arriving on time or early for this activity. 

I took a seat and looked around.  It seemed that the majority of the others in the waiting room were professional animal movers.  They talked and joked among themselves, telling stories about the Jack Russell that got away or the cat with the claws.  At 7:30, this isn't funny at all. 

They finally got to #23 and I went to the window.  Bullet-proof glass, like someone might try to rob (?) the USDA or kill someone.  I'm not sure which.  It was relatively serene.  The woman behind the glass enclosure took my paperwork, my credit card and my driver's license and then announced to the group that she was going on her coffee break so she'd be gone for awhile.  Perfect!  Maybe that's why the need the bullet-proof glass.  I was salivating for a cup of coffee. 

The time passed.  I ended up sitting next to another woman who was relocating with her dog to France.  We chatted.  Her name was called, she got her paperwork and left.  I waited.  Eventually a man called me up to the window, handed me the most official looking set of papers that I've ever seen.  He was a USDA vet.  He answered a few of my questions and off I went with Emma's French paperwork.  


No comments: