Sunday, October 25, 2015

Shopping On Sunday

When we first came to Paris there were two things wrong here.  A cup of coffee was too small and all (or most of) the stores were closed on Sunday.

I learned to enjoy "un cafe" and now I drink a small amount of very high quality coffee.  Starbucks invaded Paris years ago. There are several within walking distance but I've never been inside a Paris Starbucks, no need to go.

The Sunday shopping is another story.  When we lived on rue de Seine, the Buci market was nearby and a Champion supermarket plus the outdoor vendors were right there every Sunday morning until about noon or 1 PM.  Yes, it was really crowded but I didn't have to worry about not having something for dinner.  The stores and boutiques were all closed. 

We now live in a neighborhood that is very strict, there is one small bodega that is open on Sunday.  There used to be two but one turned into part of the Bread and Roses upscale restaurant, gallery and market and it is closed on Sundays and every imaginable holiday.

While I've learned to do other things on Sunday and not plan on shopping, the ability to shop still seems important to me.  I understand that the French get together with family and friends on Sunday.  I still want the ability to shop. 

Fairly new is a law that opens several parts of the city to shopping by deeming them "touristic".  Tourists may only have one day in Paris to shop and if all the stores are closed, opportunities for revenue will be missed.  The Champs-Elysee has shops that are open but I would never go there.  Too difficult, too easy to get pick-pocketed, too many tourists.

But a new shopping area in the 15th has been built near the Seine.  It was a shopping center in the past, but it was a run-down area that was a bit far from any metro or bus.  The only time I went was when I had to go to Darty.  Darty moved when they redeveloped the area and I stopped going entirely.   Now I have a new shopping destination on Sunday, Beaugrenelle.   I think it has over 100 shops, most of which are open all day today. 

No comments: