Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Timothy To The Rescue

We are hopeless when it comes to household stuff.  Anything more than a spider that needs shooing out and we consider calling the fire department (in France, Pompiers).  A handyman is essential.  A discreet handyman is even more essential because they see some silly and embarrassing things in our household.

Yesterday was no exception.  Terry bought a new office chair.  It is beautiful; black leather with beige leather piping.  It swivels, rolls, tips and turns.  It has lumbar support and a head rest.  He was very excited when he bought it.

The chair was delivered yesterday when I was at a meeting.  When I got home, I noticed that the new office chair was in the middle of our bedroom rather than in his office.  I moved it into the living room as a hint that I don't want an office chair in the bedroom.

"Why is the office chair in the bedroom",  I asked.  "It's a long story".    "Well, can we put it in the office soon", I asked.  "No".

The problem with the office chair is that it is too big to fit through the doorway.  While I was still gone, Terry tried to take the arms off but failed.  He was waiting for me to see if we could lift it sideways and get it into the room.  It was late so we decided to wait until the next day.

In the AM, the office chair greeted me as I went out to get the newspaper.  As soon as we'd had some coffee, we decided it was time.  We pushed and pulled and finally got the seat and back of the chair through the doorway but the legs would not make it.  The chair was now stuck in the doorway, half in, half out.  The wall was scraped, my knuckles were scraped, my shin was bruised.  Unhappy, we figured out how to get it out and back into the living room it went.

A million things went through our minds. How to solve this?  Call Timothy, of course.

Timothy is our Sri Lankan handyman.  He's helped us with everything -- hung drapes, fixed windows, put together shelves, you name it.  Terry called him and he came at 3 today.

He came in, spoke to his associate in whatever language is spoken in Sri Lanka and they took the legs off, put the chair in the office, put the legs back on and were gone.  Cash only, no problem.  Timothy always comes to the rescue for us.

No comments: