Saturday, January 12, 2013

I Didn't Realize

I didn't realize how much I needed a hair appointment until I walked out of the salon yesterday. 

I had a bad (very bad) experience with a french coiffeuse in 2006.  At that time, we'd been in France a long time and I needed my hair done.  I'd seen a nice, large salon near our apartment.  I went in to investigate, talked to the owner.  We discussed what needed to be done and I set up an appointment to see her in a few days. 

When I arrived at the salon, I was told that another woman would be doing my hair.  I should have balked then but I accepted this change and sat down in her chair.  In the US, I have a "weave".  They put color (or colors) into a thin amount of hair and wrap that in foil.  Then you wait until it works, they wash and style the hair. 

I had asked for a weave.  The original woman (owner) said OK to the weave.  Maybe they don't do weaves in France.  The new woman started doing what she called "balayage" which means sweeping.  It is similar except they put the hair in plastic wrap instead of foil.  I didn't object to this.  But, it took FOR-EVER.  At the two hour mark, I should have been out the door but she was still sweeping.  The cutting took forever too.  I ended up staggering out of the salon at about the 4-/2 hour mark.  My hair looked OK, not great, not even better.  But, the next day when I tried to style it I encountered a disaster.  The woman didn't cut it right, didn't color it right and it didn't look good at all.  I had to let it all grow out. 

Ever since then, I've been getting my hair done exclusively in the US.  So, sometimes I have to wait a long time between appointments. 

I've been putting off getting my hair done because I've been busy.   I should have gone sooner.  This week, I looked in the mirror and decided that I'm overdue.  I looked "witchy".  Off to see Jeannie I went yesterday.   I really didn't think too much about it, I just needed a bit of rejuvenation.  But now that it's done, I realize that I waited far too long.  Maybe I need to find a French coiffeuse that I can trust.




No comments: