Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Joke's On Me

We were in the process of signing up for membership at the Tennis Club du 16eme. The head pro, Yann, was describing the various benefits and rules of the club, including how to reserve a court, the tennis pros, etc.

He then mentioned that everyone gets one “jocaire” per week. I understood from his description that this means a “wild card." You get to reserve a court one time per week by phone using your “jocaire." He keeps using the word “jocaire” and smiling at me after he says it. I smile back, but I have no idea what this word actually means. I write it down just as it pronounced, "JOCAIRE." Then, I wait until the meeting is winding down.

When I finally get my chance, I ask Yann to spell “jocaire” so I can look it up in the dictionary when I get home. Like a well-choreographed dance, everyone in the room swivels their heads in unison toward me as Yann gently explains (this is all in French, of course), “This is an English word." Someone spells it for me in English – Joker. So, the joke’s on me (once again).

Me-A-Me

I heard people talking about a fabulous place, Me-A-Me. It sounded like a new boutique and I was interested. Listening closer, I couldn’t tell where this great new store was located, so I ask. Alors, it’s in la Floride! Florida! Hmmm! This still doesn’t hit me for a moment, but then it becomes all too clear -- Me-A-Me is the French pronunciation of Miami.

I Only Take Credit Cards and Checks

Standing in a long line at Monoprix, part of my life in Paris.

When I finally get to the cashier, she says to me, "je prends que CB et cheques," roughly translated, this means, “I only take credit cards and checks." Panicked that I will have to get in the back of another long line, I say “what” about 5 times to her. She answers with the same phrase each time.

Finally, the woman behind me explains that the cashier cannot take cash. Why the cashier couldn't say "I can't take cash" is just another french mystery that I'll probably never be able to solve.

No comments: