Sunday, March 2, 2008

"This isn't a blanchisserie..."

Beware of the French laundry!




I like to have our sheets done at a blanchisserie (French laundry). They come out starched, white and beautiful.

I normally go to a place on rue Notre Dames des Champs, where the woman is always nice to me.

But, I decided to try a new place because it was on the way to my other errands. Big mistake!

The minute I walked in the door, the trouble began. As I started to to take the sheets out of my chariot, the woman yelled at me from across the shop that the sheets must be in a plastic bag.

But, I don’t have a plastic bag!

Considering the problems the earth has with too many plastic bags right now, I made a conscious decision to bring the sheets in the chariot that I use for groceries, trying to save one plastic bag from becoming landfill.

Next, she threw a large paper bag at me and instructed me (still from across the room) to put the sheets in the bag. I follow her instructions.

Now it’s time for business. She asks all the details and fills out the form, handing it to me.

One detail is not filled out, so I ask. What day will the sheets be ready? She answers Friday. Then I ask her why not tomorrow? She yells at me, “This isn’t a blanchisserie”.

I pause. What? I could have sworn there was a sign on the front window saying “blanchisserie” and noting all the prices for laundry. My life passes before my eyes as I choose to argue this point. I mention the sign. She repeats, “this isn’t a blanchisseie” “Vendredi”…

OK, I will come back on Friday.

Now I am worried. My sheets will become landfill, or maybe they are going to the "Black Hole" where all people's sheets go who talk back to this woman. I can hardly wait for Friday.

Update to this story -- To my surprise, when I went to the store on Friday, there was a new woman, very nice, who gave me my sheets (in plastic!!!) and sent me on my way. Another small victory.

But, I will go back to the nice woman on Notre Dames des Champs to avoid the stress.

No comments: