Sunday, June 22, 2008

Vehicular Worries



The Universal Little Green Man


In Paris I am always a little bit afraid of being hit by a car.

Pedestrians don't have the right-of-way and cars enforce this rule. Before I cross a street, even if the little green man is illuminated (the french/universal symbol for the "go" command), I swivel my head right, left, right, left to make sure a car isn't speeding in my direction.

In Manhattan Beach, it is a law that you stop your car for people in a crosswalk. You get a ticket if you don't obey this rule.

It is annoying when I am trying to run errands and a person steps into the crosswalk in front of my car, stares me down, and expects me to stop on a dime. Then, the person proceeds to walk, ever so slowly, across the street. Sometimes the person is eating something, which slows them down even more. But,the person doesn't worry that I won't stop.

I have never been worried about getting hit by a car on the beach though. In Florida, and I think in Texas, cars are allowed on the beach. But not in California.

So, back to my vehicular worries. I guess you can never be too careful!

No comments: