Wednesday, June 4, 2008

We’ve Been Spoiled


I never thought about gas prices until very recently. I have a small car and drive very little.

Even when the news every night was about oil prices going up to $70 per barrel and then $80, it really didn’t concern me much.

But, when I fill up my tank now, it’s going to set me back around $60. It's starting to get scary.

We have a gas station just around the corner that has always had cheap gas. My friend Madeline told me that Cost Co gas is even cheaper. So, I decided on Saturday to go to Cost Co.

They didn’t have the gas prices posted, but I waited in the line, about 6 cars deep at all 10 pumps. I think that if we checked the “carbon footprint” directly over the 50-60 cars idling over the Cost Co pumps, we would be appalled.

I finally got to the pump and was very surprised to see that the price was $4.349 per gallon. I was hoping for a mere $4.20. But, I’d invested a lot in wasted time, so I filled my tank, which was only half empty (or half full for all the gas optimists).

Two days later, I drove by my cheap neighborhood station and the price is now $4.57 and heading toward $5.00.

We’ll all wish that we knew how to take the bus in LA pretty soon. Then, we’ll have to hope that the public transportation in LA is safe. I think it’s not, but we’ll all be finding out soon. Luckily, I’m a whiz at bus routes in Paris, so this should help out a little.

No comments: