Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Sunny Day, My God-Given Right

In Southern California, it is sunny almost every day. I wake up in the morning and even if there are some morning clouds or fog (we live at the beach), it is clear and sunny by noon.

I get a bit unhappy if it is cloudy, cold or humid even for one day. I guess I'm a bit spoiled.

I adjust my expectations for Paris and never have such a demanding requirement for the weather. Like everyone else, I take an umbrella and my sunglasses with me everywhere I go. During a one hour outing, I could have the need for both of them.

I have just returned from San Diego for a family visit. San Diego is normally sunnier and warmer than the LA area. But, there have been a series of tropical storms that sent clouds, hot weather and humidity into the area. For three days, we struggled with very little sunshine. I felt sorry for all the vacationers who were trying to go to the beach or enjoy an afternoon poolside. It's not as much fun if you can't see your shadow.

In Manhattan Beach, everyone takes the good weather for granted. No one rushes to the beach because the weather will be equally good tomorrow. No one carries an umbrella, even if it's threatening rain. Sunglasses are ubiquitous and many people have a wardrobe of sunglasses. A sunny day is normal, it is our god-given right!

On the first sunny day of spring in Paris, it doesn't matter if it's a Tuesday or a Sunday, everyone is outside. The cafes are filled, there are no empty chairs in the parks, everyone is out walking. People the world over love a sunny day, it's just that some of us take it for granted.

No comments: