Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Garbage Disposer (or lack thereof...)

I think that Americans take the garbage disposer for granted.

I've always had one.

When there are leftovers such as carrot tops, tomato stems, eggshells or other stuff to get rid of, I just put them down the left-hand side of the sink, flick the switch, hit the cold water and it's all gone... down the drain!

Not in France.

We've just returned after a long trip to the US. I've gotten used to that silly garbage disposal. It takes care of just about everything. (No artichoke leaves, celery stings or walnut shells, please).

Tonight, after dinner, I've been busily picking up stray strands of pasta, tomato seeds, etc, making sure that it doesn't go down the drain, possibly clogging it.

I don't think that the garbage disposal appliance is available in France. I do know that I miss having one.

No comments: