Monday, September 1, 2008

First Crop -- 2013



It started out as a seed. Aidan, who loves avocados, ate it two summers ago. I decided to try to grow a plant from it.

I put toothpicks into the center of the seed and placed it in a glass of water in a sunny spot in the kitchen. Within weeks, roots started to appear. After a few more weeks, a small stem broke through the top of the seed.

Over the course of two years, I've kept it in the sunny spot, and when we're gone, Neda kept the glass full of water. I counted the leaves as they emerged, one, two, pretty soon there were eight or nine.

Last summer, I thought it was time to plant the avocado in the yard. I went to the nursery for information. The nursery woman told me that there were still many steps that needed to be completed before planting.

First, I would need to transfer the plant to a pot. She told me what type of soil, food, and when to water it.

She also told me something very important. Avocados need sun, but it must be acclimated slowly. Over the last year, I've moved the plant in and out of the sun, giving it a little more time outside each day. This summer, it stayed outside all the time and it has flourished.


Safely in the ground

Yesterday it was time. Terry cleared a place in the sunniest spot we have. It has an ocean view, a nice extra. We watered the plant and planted it. So far, so good.

The woman at the nursery told me that it takes seven years for an avocado to produce fruit. I guess that means we should have our first crop in about five more years now.

No comments: