Friday, February 20, 2009

Quail (yum-yum)




I've now made a round trip LA-Houston to visit my sister. We had a wonderful girls' weekend.

Even though Texas isn't a foreign country, it is one of the more exotic states in the US. There are many differences between Texas and California. Luckily, they speak the same language, but with a different accent.

While I live near the Pacific Ocean, my sister lives on a bayou, The Buffalo Bayou. We don't even have bayous in California. There are bayou-looking plants along it's banks. Some plants are viney things that tangle into other trees, giving a look that could be prehistoric.

The bayou is mesmerizing to watch. The trees blow in the wind as the muddy water makes its way slowly downstream.

I'm not the most adventurous person in the family. I like to stick to my tried and true routines, my favorites. I don't venture outside the known very often.

I tried quail during my last visit to Houston. I liked the taste. But, it's not easily available in Southern California. But, during this trip, I had it twice at two different restaurants. I loved it.

Researching sources on the internet, I learned that quail are higher in protein and lower in fat than either chicken or turkey. Since chicken is my go-to meal, I quickly realized I have to cook quail.

So, it was Monday at Whole Foods. They butchers looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for quail.

Ralphs and Vons don't even have butchers, but I checked the frozen sections as well as the meat case, no quail.

I then went on-line and found out that I can order quail but it's a bit of a commitment. The smallest package is 36 quail for around $100. Shipping costs run $35, and I don't even have a good quail recipe yet. The shipping is so expensive because they pack them in dry ice and ship them by next day Fed Ex.

Yesterday, in my last effort at finding quail in quantities less than 36, I went to Bristol Farms. Since it is an expensive market and the economy is a little down, the butchers behind the meat counter were a little lonely. Normally, I have to take a number and they're not overly talkative. The butcher approached and I asked if he had quail. His face lit up. Yes, he always has quail but they are frozen. If I can wait until tomorrow, he can bone them for me.

I couldn't wait. I will take him up on this offer next time, though. I walked out of Bristol Farms with my little package full of quail. Once again, my travels have paid off, I've found a new treat -- quail. Terry loved them

No comments: