Monday, December 3, 2012

Google Translate

I am the last one to know about this.  I have a Mac so I don't have a translation program easily accessible.  So, I've been doing it the old-fashioned way; writing a letter, email or whatever in French, looking up things in the dictionary and hoping that the recipient can (at least) understand what I've written.

I wasn't asking for perfect, just passable.

During a WICE meeting, someone mentioned doing a translation from French to English.  I was very impressed.  Then the person confessed that he has a translation program on his computer, so all he has to do is fine-tune the document after the software does the heavy lifting.

I've had a couple of pieces of correspondence that have been nagging me.  They both were in French.  So this morning, I sat down with Google Translate, wrote a paragraph at a time in English, fine-tuned it (they have a special fine-tuning mechanism so that's easy too) then copied each paragraph to a Word document. 

One document needed to be printed and mailed, the other was an email.  So, my correspondence took me 30 minutes instead of 2+ hours. 

I'm sure there were still errors but it only needs to be understandable. 

No comments: