Monday, November 2, 2009

My Day...

It's been both a good and a difficult day, a normal day in Paris.

I had a great walk in the Luxembourg with sunny skies and cold, brisk air. All the leaves have gotten the message and are falling. The gardeners can't keep up. And it rained all day yesterday so a lot of the leaves are crushed and wet. Slippery!

Next I had chores to do.

Xeroxing for WICE involves dealing with the local copier place. I've always had good luck there until today. But today, the machine kept jamming. I didn't know the word for jammed!!! My papers were stuck in the machine, so there was no way out. In my favor, the machine had a little screen that said, "papier coincé", Ah Ha! I can figure this out. I told the woman who works there, she ignored me. Not a big surprise.

So, I continued to break into her conversation with another woman, telling her I was in a hurry, her machine was broken and my papers were inside! It's her fault. Really!!!?? Not in her world. Eventually she came over and unjammed it. But, the next copy caused another jam. So, I told her to get my original out, I was changing machines.

It goes on from here but suffice it to say, we had words when she tried to charge me for all the jammed up pages as well as someone else's copies that she made during the chaos.

My next stop (I AM BRAVE, aren't I?) was the bank. I needed cash, put my card in the machine, asked for the amount I wanted and out came only Euro 50 notes!!! This is about US $75 in each note, not exactly easy for my small purchases in cash. So, inside the bank I went, demanding 20 notes. I was given 2 20's and 1 10 and the rest of my 50's back. Oh well. Why would I expect that the cash machine would give me 20's after getting only 20's in the US with no hope of any other denomination.

After all this, my day ended on a good note, at Odile's apartment. She is always happy and energetic and today was no exception. She was in the middle of making crepes for Terry using her new pan. Of course, I had to have one! We talked, she cooked, the apartment was warm, the sun came out. She gave me a bunch of crepes to take home to Terry. He loves her crepes.

So, all in all, a good day, a normal day in Paris.

No comments: