Monday, November 8, 2010

American Healthcare

The French don't understand why a rich country like the US isn't able or willing to provide affordable health care for it's citizens. I agree.

I was angry when the Obama health care proposal became so watered down before it was voted in. Now it seems that one of the first things that the newly elected Republicans will do is try to stop funding for this bill or repeal it all together.

What are the 40+ MILLION Americans without health care going to do? What are senior citizens who can't afford their medications going to do? What am I going to do?

My insurance costs have skyrocketed in recent years. I think the insurance companies were trying to get in "under the wire". But now with changes coming again, I'm afraid to change my plan. They could cancel me completely and I would be among those 40 million.

Now that I've seen how it works in France (called a "European Nanny State" in the newspaper a few days ago) I can't believe that the US isn't anxious to adopt something similar. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. Everyone can afford to go to the doctor if they're sick, they can afford the medicines they need. They can see a physical therapist for more than 10 visits for something as serious as a joint replacement.

It would require a change of attitude, that's all.

No comments: