Monday, November 15, 2010

Counting Down



This is last year's haul. I'm already starting to stress out. I have to go to about five stores, all in different parts of town to find my Thanksgiving necessities. I also have to get a few new things -- serving dishes, some napkins, maybe some new water glasses. I also saw some great china at a second hand shop and probably would have bought the lot right then except the shop had an "fermeture exceptionelle" at 2 in the afternoon on Friday. I haven't gone back because they are only open from 2 PM to 7 PM Tuesday through Friday. Philosophical question of the day: If they're closed during the few hours that they're supposed to be open, are they ever really open? I'm not taking any chances when I'm so busy.

Cranberries are unheard of in France. They have these tiny little bitter things that they think are cranberries but they're not. So, when I find them in the "Ocean Spray" familiar plastic package, I buy two packages, just to be sure I've got enough. Stuffing is for tomatoes. What's a sweet potato? Last year I served corn muffins and the french had such a hard time with them (they broke them into tiny pieces, tried to put the meat or gravy on it, etc) that this menu item has been replaced with a baguette this year.

The most interesting part of the traditional Thanksgiving meal is that it is basically served on one plate. In France, meals are comprised of many small courses, served on small plates. Last year, I had to go out and buy American sized plates for this meal. I had to measure my dishwasher because it is smaller and I wanted to make sure the plates fit. I have to warn the guests that this is the meal except for dessert so they can judge their portions properly.

I also had to measure my oven and the pan intended for the turkey. The turkey has to be able to fit in the pan and the pan has to fit in the oven. In the US, we never worry about this kind of thing.

Making pumpkin pie requires research. Last year, I wrote down my ingredients so that I didn't have to recreate the wheel this year. The flour, sugar and butter are different. I can find the pumpkin and the milk. The whipping cream is another story. I bought something called "fleurette" and when I whipped it, it grew exponentially. I had so much fleurette (whipped) that I had to put it in a plastic bag and throw it away. (We don't have garbage disposals in France either).

Wish me luck. The best part of the meal is that we can sip real French champagne, which, by the way, tastes great with turkey.

No comments: