Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Art Class, Are My Motives Pure?

I'm starting an art class on Thursday. I've always wanted to take an art class but I'm not sure if my motives are pure. Sure, I would like to be able to draw and eventually paint. I like watercolors, they are nuanced and light. I do not think I'm at all talented, or I would have stumbled upon an art class before now.

What I like most about the art class, so far, is the art supplies.

I got the list of things I needed for the class. It was in english and french. I couldn't understand most of the english, let alone the french. The french was on the page so that the students can take the supplies list to an art store and have someone help get the right stuff.

So, I dragged Terry with me to the art supplies store yesterday afternoon. I had to promise him a beer at the end of the trip.

Shopping was a great success, now, I want everything in the store! The paints, the pastels, the paper! It's all too beautiful. The choices are incredible.

For example, pastels come in thick and thin, round and square. How do I know what I want? We are only allowed to buy black right now, what a shame. There are millions of colors to choose from. Each different pastel is in a separate little wooden cubby hole in a very large wooden box. They are organized by color and by brand and by size.

Luckily for me, I have to go back to another store, because one of the things I needed was out of stock at the first store. I get to go back tomorrow! I think I need to get something called a "cutter". Terry thought this was a pencil sharpener, but I think it is a knife, so I may need two things! Hurray!

So far, I'm enjoying the class, at least the art supplies part.

No comments: