Saturday, October 11, 2008

Il fait beau

We've had a burst of autumn sun for the last two days, so I've been out trying to take advantage of the festive atmosphere. The cafes are packed, glasses of wine and beer are on almost every table.

Everyone's face is lifted toward the sun. Ankles are bared. This might be the last chance for a sunny day for many, many months.

I hit the streets and the shops this afternoon.

Saturday is a busy day, since most shops are closed on Sunday. The streets were jammed. My friends in Paris say that people are shopping but not buying. I shopped a lot and bought a little, certainly not enough to stimulate any economy.

The french know how to enjoy a pretty day. For the price of a cup of coffee, you can occupy a table in the sun for as long as you want. On a day like this, people-watching is a great way to spend an hour or two.

I hope it's sunny tomorrow, since I didn't get enough of it today.

No comments: