Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Pumpkin Pie



After standing in the pie crust aisle at both Franprix and Monprix, I found the proper thing to line the pan for the pie. All the pie crusts are in rolls in France. They're in pie shaped metal tins in the US.

I brought the crust makings home and tried to read the directions. I even got Terry to translate. But, we couldn't figure out if the paper is supposed to be UNDER the crust or OVER the crust but under the beans or rice that are used to weight down the crust while it cooks. No idea. So, we put it OVER and cooked the crust. It didn't seem to be wrecked, so I added the pumpkin pie filling.

The filing was also somewhat challenging. The recipe was partially in grams but then deferred at the end to 1/2 pint of milk. So, I had to recite the childhood rhyme, "A pint, a pound, the world around". So, a pound is 16 oz., so a half pint is a half pound or 8 oz. It all seems to have worked out.

I didn't have all the spices called for, but I think it will taste good anyway.

The leftover crust allowed me to make a little art project for my pie. I cut a small pumpkin, some leaves and also put some cloves on top of the pumpkin pie for the fall-like effect shown above.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: