Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Race Is On...Christmas Is Coming

I love the Christmas season.

It is more Christmas-y in Paris than in California, but I enjoy the season no matter where I am.

As an American, I always thought of the day after Thanksgiving as the official start of the Christmas season.

Since there is no Thanksgiving in France (except at our house) all bets are off -- I saw Christmas displays in stores before Halloween.

However, it's really started now. The store windows are decorated for Christmas not for fall. There are many promotions advertising in the name of "Noel".

The stores don't seem busier though. There's time.

While in the US, everyone has a day off on the day after Thanksgiving and the stores have sales, so it's the time to start shopping.

Personal decorating has been put off in our house. I don't think I'm ready yet. I'm not ready to have every spare surface covered with little snowmen, reindeer and Santas. I'm not ready for pine in the house either. The smell is great but the falling needles leave something to be desired.

I've got flowers in the house and all is well. There's Christmas music playing through my iPOD, all is well.

No comments: