Tuesday, December 22, 2009

H1N1 Vaccines, Thanks, CVS

After having had a very bad virus in Paris a few years ago, I've been very careful to avoid getting sick. With all the publicity about the new H1N1 virus, I wanted to be first in line to get the shot.

This was much harder than expected. In France, we don't have a regular doctor and aren't on the French social medical system. We purchase health insurance for emergencies only. For the normal flu shots, we just go to our neighborhood pharmacy, buy two shots and give them to each other. The H1N1 shots, however, were only available at vaccination centers and only for priority patients. We are not a priority in France. So, we tried to follow all the other rules to avoid contagion, washing hands, eating properly, etc. We didn't get the flu, not even on the cramped 11-1/2 hour flight home.

It's hard to stay healthy in Paris during the cold and flu season. We take public transportation everywhere. It's crowded and people are not conscious of covering their nose or mouth for a cough or sneeze. I feel like I'm holding my breath half the time.

Back in the US, we found out that we are not in the priority categories for getting the shots either. Maybe it's a little easier but not much. So, we waited, using our hand sanitizers like crazy in public places.

Terry finally found out that if we become patients of a medical group in Manhattan Beach, they would give us the shots, so he got us each an appointment. It seemed like a small price to pay to get the shots. But, three days before Christmas, who feels like meeting a new doctor, filling out the forms, answering all the dumb questions. Not me. Plus Eileen and Aidan had been there yesterday and she reported that everyone in the waiting room was visibly sick.

Today, we got lucky. After the gym this morning, I was running errands and I remembered that the CVS pharmacy has a walk-in medical clinic. So, I decided to try it out. It took me about 10 minutes to find a parking place, but I got one and went inside. I filled out the electronic form on a computer and the minute I pushed send, a door opened and a nice woman called my name. No waiting, I guess. I got the shot and was back in my car in less than five minutes.

Later in the day, I went back with Terry who had a similar experience. No more worries about this pandemic.

I do have concerns though. Why has it taken both the US and France 5-6 months to get a vaccine out to the general public? What if this was smallpox or something more deadly? Keep the hand sanitizer handy.

No comments: