Sunday, December 6, 2009

One Trick I Haven't Learned Yet

I'm hopeful that in 2010 I'll be able to keep track of my "stuff".

There are certain things that I don't need in one place or the other. I really don't need a winter coat in Manhattan Beach, a leather jacket and/or a thin jacket will do. Bathing suits, shorts, pareos (those things you can tie in a million different ways over a bathing suit) are exclusive to Manhattan Beach.

The "grey" area is everything else. I have a couple of role models. They make it look so easy. Terry takes literally every item of clothing back and forth. Maybe he leaves his winter coat in Paris, but the rest of it goes right back into the suitcase each time.

Another role model is Mary. She travels between the US and Paris with just a carry on bag. In this one small bag, she carries her laptop and cameras, so there's not much room for anything else, maybe a few gifts. She claims to have a duplicate wardrobe. My hero.

I've tried to duplicate a few of the key items, especially shoes which are heavy and bulky in the suitcase. Books have been virtually eliminated with the Kindle. I have identical tennis rackets in each location. So, the problem lies in the clothing area.

I do leave a lot of stuff in Paris. For example, I don't really wear suits of any kind in the US, so they stay. Jeans go back and forth, it's hard to find one pair with just the right cut, color and comfort, two would be really hard. This time of year, a few sweaters will make the trip. A skirt, just in case. Tennis clothes (not shoes) travel, workout clothes stay. I'm confused already.

When we first started doing this in 2002, I devised an inventory system. I use a spiral notebook and write down the things left behind. Then, I use another set of pages to write down things that are needed. Invariably the one thing that I'm looking for has been left off the list. I looked for a sweater for over a year. I finally found it when we moved from rue de Seine. It had fallen off the hanger and was bunched up under the shoes in the closet.

I think I've improved until the whole system breaks down. Where is that...???

No comments: