Friday, March 19, 2010

Blue-ing the table, OR, the table is "blued"




"Blue" is the equivalent of Windex in the US. A window cleaner.

When we lived on rue de Seine, we had a dining table with a melamine finish. The best way to clean it was to spray "blue" and clean it with paper towels. So, if I was cleaning the table and Terry asked me what I was doing, I would say, "blu-ing the table".

Now we've been away from rue de Seine for a few years. The table that was lovingly "blued" every day now resides in our cave. I didn't use that much "Windex-equivalent" until recently when I realized that it works well on many surfaces -- the shower, the cook top, the counters. So, bring on the "blue".

It's getting hard to wrestle it out of my hand. I hold the "blue" in the left hand and the paper towels in the right. The movement is swift and efficient, a second or two and the surface looks perfect.

Our new dining room table is topped in white glass.

"Blue" is therefore a daily part of my life.

No comments: