Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Sunday Newspaper

In the US, the Sunday newspaper is the biggest of the week. More ads, more sections to read, often a magazine or two.

Sunday morning is a time to relax with a cup of coffee, lazily reading the paper. It is delivered to our front door early in the morning. It is something I've always looked forward to. There is something for everyone in the paper, including the comics, which are in color and bigger on Sunday.

In Paris, we only have the Saturday-Sunday edition of the newspaper. We get both the IHT and Le Figaro. The IHT says Saturday/Sunday on the masthead, but it is really a Saturday newspaper. Same with Le Figaro except that it has three really nice magazines included, so at least there is something left over to read on Sunday.

There is a Sunday paper, Le Journal du Dimanche. It comes out only on Sunday but it is thin and you have to go out to buy it, I don't think they deliver it.

I guess that there is no Sunday newspaper to speak of here because of French labor laws and the French way of life, but I don't know for sure. I'm sure that no one wants to work on Saturday or on Sunday morning in the US either, but we do it if it's part of our job.

I notice that more and more stores are open on Sunday so maybe it's a matter of time before I start getting an actual Sunday newspaper here.

No comments: