Monday, January 31, 2011

A Day of Frustrations

Air France is now Delta in the US. I hate to use the word "transparent", especially since the transition has been anything but. Today I got an email, in French, from Air France. It said that I needed to "click here" and enter my passport info and other sensitive data.

Afraid of "phishing", I knew I had to call the airline. First I tried Air France. All lines were busy and, as usual, after a 20 minute wait they hung up on me. I tried Delta and got a recording saying that their systems were overloaded with calls, try back later. I tried Flying Blue, the frequent flyer program for Air France, long wait. So, I gave up.

But, the letter said that I had to provide this info 72 hours in advance or we couldn't fly. But, I can't call you and I'm not entering all this stuff into an unknown site.

I went to the gym, did a few things and tried back later. After another 10+ minute wait, I got a woman on the phone who said, indeed, I needed to enter this info on line, they can't do it on the phone. Ick. So, I got out the documents, went on line (not by clicking "here"), but by trying to find it on the web site. Of course, it was buried and I had to go through about seven screens to get to the right place. I entered the info, and printed it, just in case.

The afternoon wasn't much better. My iPHONE wouldn't sync with my computer and I need to keep it all up to date. A call to an Apple "genius" required another 10+ minutes on hold while they figured it out and another 10+ minutes downloading new software.

It's starting to get dark now and I am happy to report that order has been restored and all these things have been fixed. What's in store tomorrow? I'm afraid to ask.

No comments: