Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Sighting



I've lived in LA all my life and rarely see a "movie star". Once I saw Dustin Hoffman in a health food store. I think that many of the people we see in movies and on TV look less impressive in real life.

Not so with Deneuve.

I was walking home from the Luxembourg Gardens a couple of days ago on rue de Fleurus. It was a beautiful sunny day and there was a crowd at the small tabac/cafe, Le Fleurus. I passed by, looking more closely at what people were eating and drinking (it was lunch time) than who was there.

A woman caught my eye. I went through the mental gymnastics. Do I know her? If so, what is her name? Where do I know her from?

I was wearing a visor and sunglasses, so I was somewhat incognito, but I was close enough that if this woman knew me, she would have said something.

I couldn't think of her name, and she certainly didn't recognize me, so I went home. About five seconds after I passed, I realized who it was -- silly me. It was Catherine Deneuve.

I'm very glad I didn't try to say "hi" now, of course. The most interesting thing, though, is that, in broad, unflattering daylight, she was absolutely gorgeous. The hair was just like in the movies. She was wearing glasses with red frames, they looked great on her. I was truly impressed.

Now I'll have to be on the lookout for more stars.

No comments: