Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Movies

The original concept for this post was to detail the difference between movie offerings in the US vs. France during the Summer. My idea was that the movies offered in the US are for children and adolescents while in France, the films shown are predominantly for adults.

My research has proven me wrong though.

I compared three different cinemas in the UGC chain with the ARClight theaters in California. They have about the same total number of rooms and movies available.

Several of the movies are the same, including Transformers and Midnight in Paris. They don't have the same rating system in France but Transformers is rated PG-13 in the US, so it's not for small children. Evidently Harry Potter has either passed through the system in the US or hasn't been released yet, I'm not sure since I'm not a follower.

Of interest, the french cinema has a special Opera series. They show Opera that has been filmed, therefore reaching a larger audience and possibly an audience that can't afford to attend a live performance. I think there are places in the US where Opera is shown, unfortunately, Southern California isn't one of them.

Movie theaters are normally air conditioned. Much of the US is having a heat wave right now. I would rather spend the money on a movie on a hot afternoon than on the electricity it takes to cool a house. For most people in Paris, air conditioning is not allowed, so I'm sure the movie theaters are packed when it is hot.

The only movie that I'd like to see is Le Moine which is playing in Paris. I bet it will come to the US, perhaps dubbed into English.

Hopefully more films will come out that interest me this summer, but it's not the child-centric offering that I imagined.

No comments: